Daily COVID-19 cases have risen to 50,000 and Health Secretary Sajid Javid says they could double. This has given weight to the thinking that a ‘Plan B’ winter COVID plan could become the reality. But what does this mean for Security Officers and the security services we offer.
What is Plan A?
- Plan A is the winter strategy currently in operation in England:
- offering Covid booster jabs to about 30 million people
- offering healthy 12- to 15-year-olds a single vaccine dose
- encouraging unvaccinated people to get jabbed
- NHS Test and Trace continues and PCR and lateral flow tests remain free
- encouraging free flu jab take-up
- reminding people to let in fresh air when meeting indoors, to wash their hands, and to wear face coverings in crowded places
What is Plan B?
- Communicating clearly and urgently to the public that the level of risk has increased, and the need to behave more cautiously
- Introducing mandatory Covid passports
- Making face coverings compulsory again
- Advising people to work from home
No single event or set of figures would necessarily trigger Plan B, but the government said it would monitor:
- rapid rates of change in figures
- the overall state of the NHS
- BBC News: What is Covid Plan B and what are the rules across the UK this winter?*
If Plan A is current restrictions, if/when Plan B comes into place, we will need to adopt our previous training as COVID-19 Marshals. This means being able to communicate with the public what current guidelines and restrictions are, and be comfortable enforcing them when necessary. We understand that this comes in addition to usual security protocols.
For example, in the retail sector, not only will we be vigilant about shoplifting and abusive behaviour, but we’d also ensure that face masks and social distancing measures were being abided to as well.
For more information on how we can work advise you on security and staffing at your business should Plan B come into effect, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of our team. We look forward to hearing from you.
Alternatively, if you’re looking to further your career within the security industry, please check on our website or email us an up-to-date copy of your C.V. We never subcontract, we invest in training and we work hard to support our staff. You will need to hold a valid SIA license before applying.